This place originated with the order of the Discalced Carmelites, in the 17th century, since it needed to create a convent that would serve as a retreat and Christian meditation, away from the noise of the city. The monastery was an enormous complex made up of the main cloister, cells, refectory, library, kitchen, hostels, laundry, orchard with chapels and stables,
At the time of independence, the order had to abandon the place and cede it to the then government of the viceregal capital. Later it was abandoned and served as a den for thieves, a counterfeit money factory was even installed. After the Reform, the governments recognized the value of the area and it was declared a forest reserve area in 1876.
It was not until the time of the revolution, when Venustiano Carranza declared it a National Park in 1917. And President Miguel de la Madrid decreed expropriation in favor of the Federal District government. Finally, in 1999, through the Ministry of the Environment, Natural Resources and Fisheries, the administration of the Desierto de los Leones National Park was transferred to the local government..